Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lessons I Learned in Mexico - Day 210

I just got back from Mexico! It was a good trip. We were able to go to Ciudad Meir. (Don't google it. ;-P It's a fairly dangerous city..) We were able to attend a homeschool conference. And we were able to fellowship with other believers. I also learned many good things. I figured I could talk about a couple of them here..

One thing that I learned is that you can really love those who don't believe all of the other three hundred and eighty-five points that you believe. We talked to many different people. I was kind of amazed at how even though people disagreed on many issues, and they were even foundational issues, yet they could spend time with each other. We're talking extended time with one another. And they still loved each other. o.0

It was a breath of fresh air. It seems like there are always 2-3 squabbles going on in my Facebook. Typically they're small issues. This person disses this person. This person gets mad at this person. There's a lot of straining at gnats and swallowing camels that tends to go on.

And yet these people who don't even necessarily agree on large issues can get along. There are disagreements, but the way that I saw them handled seemed to be in a loving manner. Part of it may be due to the fact that in America we have about 76% of people who call themselves Christians. While in Mexico, there are 5-7% of the population who would probably call themselves Christians. You just have less people who are Christians and if you're constantly get mad at those who disagree with you, you won't have any friends. While in America you have the ability to just move onto a different group. Or it could be that they just love each other like 1 Corinthians 13 says.


Another thing I learned is that I really enjoy spicy food.

Something else I learned is how materialistic America is. And how much we love ourselves. It kind of relates to the above thought. But sometimes it seems that Americans are so full of themselves that everything becomes about them. If someone questions them on their beliefs they just get angry and flustered whenever someone says they could be wrong. (I've done this a couple times.... <_<) Yes, somebody is wrong. But it's not about you. It should be about Christ. The reputation of Christ is what should be on the line. It shouldn't be you and your pride about to be hurt..

I also learned that I need to make sure my room stays clean. ;-P In Mexico, it seems nobody has learned how to clean their room. Everything is covered with trash.

I have to say that I'm thankful for all the moms who spend the time instructing their children in cleaning their room. It may even involve discipline. But it's so important. That character seems to be a very important part of life.

I learned many things. I was down there five years ago and things have changed. I've grown up. And I'm thankful God gave me the opportunity to go down there this year.

0 comments: