Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Computers - Day 217

FOCUS!

NOOO!!!! But I have a Facebook notification. :-(

FOCUS!

Okay... Oh wait. I need music.

Okay I'm focusing.

Wait, Gmail.

Focus.

But I have a great Twitter message I just thought of.

It's interesting, I'm slowly finding that it takes character to own a computer. I've treated it as a toy for too long. It's an incredibly powerful tool. I honestly don't know another tool that one person can use and affect the world on a large platform base with so little effort. But in order to be that person who uses it to affect others, create programs, write thoughtful articles, and even grow in your walk with Christ, you have to use it in a purposeful way. Just like in Spiderman where Spiderman is told that with great power comes great responsibility in the same way when you have a powerful tool it should be used responsibility. It should be used purposefully. Sit down and do what needs to be done. Maybe you even need to relax. But it needs to be done with purpose. Becoming a vegetable and going from one screen to another is not purposeful.

This is something that's been on my mind quite often lately. Thankfully I'm getting better at it, very sloooooowwwwllllllyyyyyyy. So said the man climbing up a thousand flights of stairs while on the fifth flight..

1 comments:

Timothy Baldridge said...

Several people at work (including myself) have started using RescueTime (http://www.rescuetime.com/). The program not only monitors productivity over the day, but also includes a "Focus for 30min" button that disables Facebook, news sites, etc. for 30 min. I've found that is just long enough to force me to get into "the bubble" and forget about social networking for the next half a day.