Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Discipline

It's easy to start projects, but not easy to finish them. I tend to have all of these ideas for things I want to do and start them but end up not finishing them. Especially in a culture that talks about following your heart I see how it's easy for people to not stick to things but to follow their heart in a thousand directions.

You can see it in college where the majority of college students change their majors three times. And, then a lot of people don't even use their degrees later in life.

But, I think the true challenge is becoming a genius at something. I have this tendency to get involved in something till I learn the basics and then I want to go learn something else. But, this isn't a way to get good at anything. Whatever we do, we need to do with excellence and when you're always switching to different things then it'll be hard for you to be successful or excellent in anything you do.

There's a number out there that says that to be a genius at something you need to do it/study it for 10,000+ hours. Which is basically 3-4 years of full time work.

Whatever it is in your life, be it your work, or your relationships, or even hobbies if you really want to succeed at it, you need to spend the time on it for it to come to a true fulfillment. Life wasn't meant to be easy...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same struggle. I want to know a little bit of everything, but I never stick around long enough to REALLY know much about it. The more things I try, the more things I realize I do not want to do...But I never really find exactly what I want to become an expert at...